One sentence reviews:
- White Suns – Totem
– Viscerally violent, a most nihilistic destruction of the punk format.
- cipping. – CLPPNG
– Wild noise hip-hop done with the utmost intensity and control.
- The Austerity Program – Beyond Calculation
– Mathematical noise rock with its heart in Shellac-influenced punk
- Dark Times – Give
– Driving Scandi-punk, a bit of nihilism, a bit of good fuck you.
- Full of Hell & Merzbow – s/t
– Intensely precise grindcore with a load of crazy shit from Merzbow
- Wonk Unit – Nervous Racehorse
– Pop punk with a poetic heart
- Merkabah – Moloch
post-hardcore with jazz sax. Wot?
- Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
– A shouty tranny with a massive heart, a few problems & a f*cking great band
- Cuz – Tamatebako
– pop weirdoness goodness from some bloke from the Go! Team and Mike Watt from Minutemen/fIREHOSE/Stooges.
- Hard Girls – A Thousand Surfaces
– Art pop punk, with an excellent line in doing not-what’s-expected at exactly the right moment.
I also wish to note I have listened to these albums, but haven’t taken them in sufficiently to acknowledge their brilliance in the list:
- Busdriver – Perfect Hair
- Milo – A Toothpaste Suburb
Best gigs I done gone to in 2014 –
- 12-02 – Sons of Kemet at Rich Mix, London
- 24-02 – Lizzo at Birthdays, London
- 09-04 – Mike Watt & The Missingmen at the Green Door Store, Brighton
- 04-07 – Black Sabbath at Hyde Park, London
- 05-11 – Melt Yourself Down w/ James Chance at Village Underground, London
- 18-11 – Colin Stetson at St John on Bethnal Green, London
- 19-11- Against Me! at The Electric Ballroom, London
- 08-12 – Zu at the Underworld, London
Sparks are playing the Barbican in a few days, and I expect that’ll be added.